Friday 7 December 2012

Myanmar lessons

For a few weeks now, one of our Myanmar teachers gives us lessons in the language. It is quite embarrassing to have to admit that I've been here almost 7 years now and still can't speak the language apart from some useful (and some less useful) words.

Twice before did I start but on both occasions I was pregnant shortly after and was too tired to continue. That won't happen this time I'm sure.

We learn not only to speak but also to read and write but the Myanmar alphabet is horrendous.

To give you a few letters of the Myanmar alphabet (all consonants except one letter, the vowels, tone-symbols, and what else are not included):


U and V both have the ‘ba’ sound

Cand Dboth have the  ‘za’ sound

Yand Xboth have the  ‘ya’ sound


One of these days I'll post the complete alphabet. Then you can see the difficulties us poor Myanmar-learners face.

No comments: